[6pack] Starting Problems Solved

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: [6pack] Starting Problems Solved
From: michael lunsford <mblunsfordsr@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 17:23:19 -0700 (PDT)
Listers,

  A week or so I threw myself on your mercy and asked for help getting my newly
acquired 69 TR 6 started after it had been sitting for 17 years. Thanks to your
many suggestions I finally got it running. I said I would let you know what the
problem was when I got it going so here it is:  It was one of everything!!!

  I rebuilt the carbs but the rear one still didn't work right and I had to
re-do it.  The older MSD Blaster coil I used to replace the POS coil originally
on the car was also a POS so I replaced the second one with one that worked;
the resistor plugs were replaced with NGK BP6ES plugs; the plug wires were
toast, most wouldn't even carry electricity; the distributor was 180 degrees
our of time (thanks Dave); the points I replaced earlier were nearly closed;
the diaphragm on the brake booster was completely gone which drained  manifold
vacum and the fuel pump was bad.  The oil pressure line looked like it had been
chewed in half by mice and spewed oil when I finally got it going.  The metal
fuel line had rusted through in at least one place and the rubber line broke in
half when I tried to hook a new line to it.

  The good news is that the car now runs; the oil pressure is about 70 PSI; and
there were no knocks coming from the motor.  Now that I know it will run I will
change the oil and filter as I don't even want to guess what is in the sump.  I
sort of feel like Columbus discovering a whole new world of what could go wrong
did go wrong.  Hopefully the worst is now over though I see water weeping from
a bunch of radiator hoses, etc.

  Mike Lunsford 1969 TR 6 with OD, 1970 TR 6 with OD, 1971 TR 6 awaiting
restorat