Re: [6pack] popping out of third gear

To: Oliver <sumton@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [6pack] popping out of third gear
From: Robert Lang <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 09:45:26 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 27 Mar 2008, Oliver wrote:

> hi, all.
>
> simple question, i hope.  i know it needs a rebuild, but can someone give me
> some specifics on what is wrong with an od tranny that pops out of third
> gear when decelerating?

Check the 3rd/4th synchro hub detent springs, check the shifter fork
detent spring pressures (there's a spec in the Bentley book where you hang
the top cover from the ceiling and use a fish scale to measure the weight
it takes to pop out). If those are okay then you need to look into
anything that's loose in the thranny (like excessive thrust washer
clearance and or improper free play of the 2nd/3rd bushings. Thrust washer
clearances and bushing free play both require a complete tear-down.

FWIW, if you try to remedy the problem by holding the gear shifter in
place you will put extra force on the small layshaft thrust washer and
it'll wear even more quickly and the tranny will start popping out of
second too.

My suggestion - drain the fluid and look for metal. Gold is thrust washers
and bushings, silver-grey is steel or aluminum. Those will tell you what's
going on, but if the fluid is relatively clean, then pop the top and check
the gearshift detents. Otherwise, the tranny has to come out.

> thanks.

regards,
rml
Bob Lang              NER/SCCA                 |  This space for rent
Solo Chair 2008       TR6 40 F Prepared        |  Triumph!
Voice:781-438-2568    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: 339-927-4489