Re: [6pack] Transmission Locating Dowels

To: 75TR6@tr6.danielsonfamily.org (Bob Danielson)
Subject: Re: [6pack] Transmission Locating Dowels
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 12:07:01 -0700
Bob D.---There are usually? two locating dowels included with the HDVA
conversion kit. These dowels are a snug fit in the bellhousing, and a
slip fit into e baclplate when mating the two components.
If yours are painted over, you could clean out these two (originally)
3/8" holes th a drill bit, being careful to not oversize these holes.

These holes are located at approx. eight and two o'clock.

There were originally three threaded studs at the top of the engine.

As othres have noted, these two dowels are important in ensuring that
the clutch and the throwout bearing spin concentrically. Otherwise
squeals and premature wear can occur where these two meet.

Dick

 From: 75TR6@tr6.danielsonfamily.org(Bob Danielson

Folks,
Herman's 5 speed installation directions stress the use of the locating
dowels between the engine backing plate and the tranny bell housing.
Well....I don't have any locating dowels there. I've got them between
the tranny and the bell housing but only bolts and/or studs between the
backing plate and bell housing. There's two studs side by side at 12
o'clock. I'll be mounting the tranny to the engine with BOTH out of the
car if that makes a difference. So is this lack of locating dowels a
problem and, if so, what's the options?
As always.....thanks
Bob
Bob Danielson