Re: [6pack] Worn pressure plate as the cause of clutch judder ?

To: stan.foster@hp.com (Foster, Stan)
Subject: Re: [6pack] Worn pressure plate as the cause of clutch judder ?
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 12:46:34 -0800
Stan---There are fans of the Sachs clutch package on the list. Some of
these folks are anti-B&B. Other than a slipping problem with one of
their "flat fingered" clutches, I happen to like the great service that
B&B has given me over the last 30 years. Still, it's hard to imagine
that there could've been a lapse on Sachs' manufacturing that let some
soft plates get out. Maybe you can take a file to the Sachs p-plate and
compare it to the B&B you still have? Other than a hardness problem, it
would seem that the clutch was cocked when bolted to the flywheel. A
burr on an alignment pin, or something?
A new groove that developed on the resurfaced flywheel also points to
something like this.

Since you probably don't want to revisit this area again. check out the
pilot bushing, and the fit of the t/o bearing carrier sleeve on the
front cover. .Keep everything running on center.

Dick

E-mail message

From: stan.foster@hp.com(Foster, Stan) Date: Thu, Mar 6, 2008, 3:01pm
(PST+8) To: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor) Cc:
6pack@autox.team.net Subject: RE: [6pack] Worn pressure plate as the
cause of clutch judder ?
Dick, the pressure plate and clutch plate were both new and replaced at
the same time (it was part of a TRF magic clutch kit).

The flywheel was resurfaced.

Clutch plate shows no sign of wear
Flywheel shows a very slight sign of wear Pressure plate has a
noticeable step in it.
Understand your point about the disc straddling the step, not sure if
can do that after installation though. Also understand your point about
poorly installed cover plate. I'll be sure to check that on reassembly.

None of this is going back in the car but I am still curious to know why
this system failed after 400 miles..
Stan