Re: [6pack] Oil Seal Replacement

To: 75TR6@tr6.danielsonfamily.org (Bob Danielson)
Subject: Re: [6pack] Oil Seal Replacement
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 14:09:09 -0800
Bob D.---There's probably no "wrong" way to do this seal replacement.
Dry, or with some sort of lube. To avoid scoring of any seal housing,
it's good to 'feel" for any handling or manufacturing burrs on the
seal's steel OD I wipe the housing with a couple drops of motor oil, to
assist in sliding iin the seal. As I write this, I don't recall the rear
seal having a steel outer ring. ??

Dick

75TR6@tr6.danielsonfamily.org(Bob Danielson

Do you always grease the outside diameter of the oil seal before
replacing it? I'm doing the rear oil seal and that's what Bentley says
to do. I always thought you just tapped them in dry and only lubed the
inside diameter so it slides over whatever easily. But then again, this
aluminum housing scares me and maybe the grease makes it less
stressful....for the housing and me! :-)
Thanks
Bob
Bob Danielson
1975 TR6 CF38503U