Re: [6pack] Today's price of gasoline

To: Gary Fluke <gary.fluke@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [6pack] Today's price of gasoline
From: Michael Porter <mdporter@dfn.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 21:24:57 -0700
Gary Fluke wrote:
> Fellow motorists,
>
> Don't worry too much about the current price of fuel.  For all of the talking,
> shouting, screaming and politicizing about the price of gasoline, please
> consider this in context.  I'm going to compare the price
> of gasoline today to the price in 1958, when gasoline was considered to be so
> cheap that Americans could afford to drive heavy, flashy cars with little
> consideration of fuel economy.
>
> The average annual wage in 1958 was $3,674 and the average price of gasoline
> was $0.284 per gallon.  The current average annual wage of about $40,000 is
> about eleven times that of 1958.  Eleven times $0.284 is $3.124, which is very
> close to the price of a gallon of regular gasoline here in Washington State
> where the price of gasoline is high.

This makes some uneconomic assumptions. In fact, a better indicator
would be the actual rate of inflation, which, from 1958 to 2006 is a
factor of 6.92.  Other sources show an average cost of gasoline of
$0.24/gal. in 1958, but, in oil-producing regions of the country, the
cost was much less than 24 cents a gallon, so, perhaps it averages out
to 24 cents.  If  so, a gallon of gasoline, using the actual rate of
inflation as a multiplier, should be $1.66.

These assumptions also use average wages, which are not representative
of most wage earners, since averages are skewed by large incomes at the
top of the income scale--a much greater bias today than in 1958, since
the top 1% of earners today garner about 22% of total income, whereas in
1958, this figure was closer to 13%.  The top 0.1% today have about 7%
of total income, whereas in 1958, the figure was about 2.3%.

Statistically, median family and individual incomes would be a better
indicator.  Let's also remember that for the bottom 30% or so of wage
earners, their income hasn't kept up with inflation since the early
`70s, so transportation fuel costs for that segment of the population
are a considerably greater share of take-home income than for those in
the upper half of the income distribution.

Cheers.

--

Michael Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance....