Re: [6pack] A living testament :)

To: <StagByTriumph@tscusa.org>
Subject: Re: [6pack] A living testament :)
From: "Robert N. Clark" <rclark@robertsonclark.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 15:09:23 -0800
I have a chocolate stout that I brewed in 1999.  Not my best homebrew
effort, it looks like the oil I drained from the TR6 after the float
valve stuck.  Instead of throwing it out, I just left it sit in the
crawlspace under my house.  Every so often I pull out a bottle and try
it.  It actually seems to be improving.  I have even served it to
friends and they compliment it as well.

Bob Clark
'69 TR6

"I brew, therefore ... I am"

"Worts this all about??"  Are you guys ever off base on this.  Chilling
beer is for one primary reason - preservation.  When beer gets warm it
increases oxidation which affects flavor and may allow it to spoil
quickly, specially when exposed to oxygen.  Most chilled beers have an
shelf life of 90 days which is what the producer believes is the best
time to consume and retain the full (and very marginal range) flavors.
Such beers are typically known as Bohemian  (or Plzner) beers fermented
with lagering yeasts so they can ferment cold, extending the quality and

life of flavors in the ingredients.  These beers are seldom "aged" more
than a few months before being consumed.
Lager beers use lagering yeast (bottom zymosis) which prefer to do their

work in cooler areas over a longer period of time and will in fact stay
alive to almost freezing, while ale yeasts (top zymosis) prefer a bit
warmer temperature to work properly and will die off in very cold or hot

temperatures, producing very bad flavors in the beer.

--
Glenn A. Merrell
Hobby Zymergist & Brewer of quality Ales