[6pack] Early vs Late Head

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: [6pack] Early vs Late Head
From: owenskenbrenda@bellsouth.net
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2007 18:27:48 +0000
I plan to install Richard Good's triple carb setup on my 71 TR6. The head
(early model) was overhauled less than 2 years ago and is working very well. I
do have an extra head that is a 1974, but, it is the "rough" and will need to
be overhauled in order to use it. My question is: other than the intake ports
on the later year head being spread wider on the head, are there any other
differences between early and later model heads? Also, since the exhaust valves
are smaller, would this not be a reason to use the early model head (without
machining the later head to accept the larger valves). I do realize the valve
springs are different. I am wondering if the perforance gains between early and
late model lies in the head or really is in the longer intake manifold. Looking
for all the performance gains I can get, so, if there is a real reason to
overhaul the extra head I will do so.

Looking forward to everyone input!

Thanks,

Ken Owens