Re: Modern Oil and Old Engines

To: "im sloane" <im_sloane@hotmail.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Modern Oil and Old Engines
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kradicke@wishboneclassics.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 12:14:18 -0500
Sloane wrote:

>I don't fully understand this entire thread, but Kia's comments
> below mention Castrol 20W50 Motorcycle oil not being
> cheap.

Actually, I was not the one that said that.  I don't use any Castrol oils.
I am strictly sticking with Shell Rotella and Chevron Delo with the API
designation CI-4 (the new CJ-4 has reduced levels of ZDDP).  They have been
in my engines, and my customers engines, going on five years now.

I've had a few emails about additives to use in order to fortify whatever
brand of oil you prefer.  I like Valvoline's SynPower Oil Treatment.  I do
use it in small doses though... so don't be tempted to dump in the entire
bottle, as I certainly don't.  You'll note that the SynPower is a very
thick, molasses like additive.  I stick the bottle in a dish of hot water
for about 10 minutes.  It definitely pours a little easier, and I suspect it
also disperses better into the engine oil when warmed before adding.

Kai