Re: New Distributor

To: James Henningsen <trguy@cfl.rr.com>
Subject: Re: New Distributor
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 11:58:08 -0500 (EST)
On Sun, 21 Jan 2007, James Henningsen wrote:

> Is there a new Mallory distributor for the TR6 that is a bolt-in?  I am
> ready for a new unit and wondered if there is such an animal out there.
> Also, does it have a mechanical tach fitting or do I need to switch to an
> aftermarket tach?

You can use the Mallory 6-cylinder version that Moss, TRF and others sell.
It's a "23 seriies". You get it sans the drive dog, so you have to machine
it to accepet the roll pin to hold in the drive dog. This is a precision
operation, so you should get a machine shop to do it if possible. The
distributor has not been available with a mechanical tach drive since the
early '90's, if memory serves. Therefore, you need to either get a cheap
tach or you can convert your existing tach to electrical. One source for
the conversion is www.gaugeguys.com, DBA "APT Instruments" in MN. I've
used them and they do good work and have reasoinable turn-around.

The 23 series is the dual point setup.

If you want a modern "non-points" dizzy, you need to go the Mallory
Unilite setup.  Again, this is available from Moss and others. It is a lot
more expensive, but you never have to worry about points again. I can't
find my notes on the matter, but I was able to determine the Mallory part
number for this setup and I looked at Jegs/Summit racing and other web
auto aftermarket vendors and find the unit for under $400 by shopping
around. Again - no tach drive, so you have to look at an aftermarket tach
or the conversion thing.

The neat thing about the Mallory? Well, besides being adjustable in terms
of total mechanical advance, you can also re-curve to pretty much anything
(a whole bag of springs costs $20 or $30 from Summit), you can also get
caps from anyone that sells aftermarket ignition stuff (like Summit and
Jegs and others) and THE ROTORS DON'T FALL APART AND THE CAPS HAVE REAL
COPPER CONDUCTORS. Really.

So, the answer to your question is NO, there is no bolt-in. However, with
a bit of work and some $$$ you can get a huge improvement over the Lucas
22D.

> Thanks in advance,
>
> Jim Henningsen

regards,
Bob "Do I like Mallory? - Oh yeah!" Lang
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: 339-927-4489