RE: Another Clutch Question

To: <aledotr6@aol.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Another Clutch Question
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 06:53:55 -0800
        Bud:

        Sounds like you have the dreaded broken fork pin. The hardened
steel pin that secures the clutch fork to the cross shaft shears, and
you have a big loss in functionality. The clutch action degrades further
over time, eventually to the point where the car will grind going into
reverse, and shifting into first with the engine running is near
impossible.
        Time to pull the tranny and replace the fork pin, and anything
else that is worn. When you replace the pin cross drill the fork and
drive in a roll pin, to provide additional support.
        Sounds like a daunting task, but it is really straight forward.
One person can do it, and you do not need to crawl around under the car.
The tranny comes out through the passenger compartment, and only weighs
77 pounds (w/o overdrive).

        Cheers,

        Vance