RE: Window Track Problems

To: "Cary Henry" <caryhenry@hotmail.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Window Track Problems
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 14:45:22 -0700
        Cary:

        BTDTGTTS. (Been there, done that, got the t-shirt).

        Some possibilities:

        Tracks are loose or bent.
        Window regulator is worn out.
        A missing track spacer or shim.
        Window regulator is incorrectly adjusted.

        In my case (which had your *exact* symptoms, by the way) the
regulator was misadjusted. How was I supposed to know that you couldn't
just R&R the damn thing when I replaced the scratched glass? I don't
want to tell you how long I fussed with it before I figured it out. I
even replaced the regulator, which made absolutely no difference. Crap.
<- See? Just writing about it makes me start using bad language again!!!
        It turns out that the regulator mounting holes in the door are
all slotted. There are the holes that mount the winder (4) and holes for
the linkage tie down (ummm... 2?). All are slotted, so you can adjust
the regulator operation very significantly by slightly repositioning the
winder and/or linkage and then retightening the bolts. All of this
requires removal of the door trim panel. Nothing is ever simple.
Arrgh!!!!
        Before you go there, look down inside the door for a bent track.
Tighten the track mounts (bolts are around the edge of the door). I
suspect this will be futile (it was for me), but it is worth a shot.
        After that, you must remove the interior door panel, and start
flailing. Good luck.

        I will tell you what finally did it for me. I straightened and
restraightened the tracks, positioning them carefully, and insuring that
everything was tight. I made sure that all the washers, shims, and
spacers were correctly installed. After hours of creative colorful
metaphors, inventive descriptions of Triumph employees and verbalizing
unlikely anatomical combinations of a TR6 and a Karmann engineer, I
pushed the winder mount and linkage mount away from each other as far as
they would go in their respective slots. As I recall that meant that the
winder went down and the linkage went up. Or maybe it was the other way
around. Or maybe it was one was pushed forward and the other was pushed
backwards. I forget. Anyway, you get the idea. The total movement was
only like 1/2", but that was enough. No problems since then.

        Like hitting yourself with a hammer, it will feel very good when
it is over.

        Vance