RE: gearbox/clutch question

To: jvannorman@wowway.com, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: gearbox/clutch question
From: "im sloane" <im_sloane@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2006 14:31:16 +0000
>- Clutch fluid level is fine
>- He can put her into gear with no problem when the engine is not running
>- If put the car into gear with the clutch pedal pressed in and then start
>it, as soon as it started, the car jumps and
>dies (he has only tried that in reverse to avoid running into the garage
>wall!).
>- It appears that the slave cylinder is leaking fluid around the push rod
>when the clutch pedal is pushed in.

Possible clutch rusted to the flywheel. Had same problem with our 73 after a
year or so off the road. It's possible to drive without clutch. Back out of
garage, let warm up good in neutral, then with clear path ahead, put in 1st
and start/go. You have to be familiar with technique of shifting without
clutch. Hard to describe here. We were lucky and after a couple trips it
warmed up enough, or was jerked around enough, that it broke free. Others
reported success with jacking up rear wheels, running up to 45 mph or so and
jerking up emergency brake. But this didn't help us.

Of course, you do need to confirm clutch hydraulics operation too.
Especially if it's leaking that bad.