Re: sticking throw out bearing

To: trmarty@glwb.net
Subject: Re: sticking throw out bearing
From: Lizirbydavis@cs.com
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 20:27:18 EDT
Thanks Marty,
This sounds encouraging.  I might try lubing the snout this way.  It sure
can't hurt unless I get grease on the clutch itself. I'm not sure how much of
the
snout is actually visable.  I suspect most of the bearing/carrier is hidden
in the pressure plate. I have the Luk/Gundst combination from TRF.  Previously
with the Sachs/Koyo bearing I had a lot of wear on the fingers.  I'm anxious
to see what the Pressure Plate looks like after 10,000 miles with this set up.
I didn't realize you could doctor up the fingers.  I just replaced all three
pieces when I found the fingers worn.  I'm NOT anxious to pull the
transmission again.  If I have to deal with that tunnel one more time....
Anyway, my
pedal feels and sounds like an old screen door, creaking spring sort of sound.
IT
is notch and makes this sound going both in and out. The clutch works great
otherwise.   I thought I had prepped the snout  well with emory paper.  The
bearing carrier was moving smoothly (or so I thought) with the tranny on the
bench .  The clutch has felt this way on and off since the installation.  I say
on
and off because sometimes the clutch pedal is smooth as silk.  I have all new
hydraulics, new bushings, a cross drilled yoke etc...  Oddly, if I remove the
cotter pin and release the slave cylinder rod from the lever and wiggle the
lever back and forth (1/4" or so), the clutch pedal feels completely normal for
about 10 actuations, then it's back to the old screen door feel.  This just
doesn't seem to make sense.  I know I inadvertently used anti-seize stuff on
the snout instead of the bear grease that was supplied with the Gundst bearing.

 I''ll get out a drill and see what happens
Joe Davis