valve cover cap

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: valve cover cap
From: "Dr L. Kevin McNelis" <kmcnelis@nmsu.edu>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 09:08:16 -0600 (MDT)
Todd Bermudez wrote:

My question, has anyone ever either tried to
disassemble a cap OR perhaps drill the center out &
rivit it back together with a new(er) seal??

Todd- I had same problem with a deformed gasket inside the cap.  I
drilled out the old rivet and removed the old gasket.  One of our
members here of the British Motorcar Club of Sothern New Mexico owns a
picture frame shop, and has a laser mat cutter.  I took him a piece of
gasket material, he cut me a new one (gasket, that is).  I then
re-attached it with a very small bolt, (#10 X 1/4 inch, I think) a
washer on the gasket side, a nyloc nut and some threadlocker red.

Two years, no problems.

Kevin