RE: Aluminum Rear Drum Install

To: "James Henningsen" <trguy@cfl.rr.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Aluminum Rear Drum Install
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 17:15:05 -0700
        Jim:

        You may need to mess with your slave cylinders. Force the piston
back in
the slave cylinder, and recenter the slave cylinder in it's travel. Most
likely the drum is dragging not at the bottom of the backing plate
(controlled
by the brake adjuster) but rather is dragging at the top of the backing
plate (controlled by the slave cylinder). After you press the piston
back into
the cylinder, you will want to move the cylinder itself towards the
front of the
car slightly. Say 1/8" or so, so that it is centered in its travel.
        I am betting that the old drums were worn down enough that the
slave
cylinder recentered itself to take up the wear. The slave cylinder
"floats"
on its mounting, and is free to move forwards and back to be self
adjusting at the top of the drum.

        Vance