fuel problems

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: fuel problems
From: Greg Perry <rgperry@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 09:57:43 -0500 (GMT-05:00)
Hello,

My fuel filter before the carbs starts to fill with air when the gas tank is
about 1/2 full.  The fuel pump pressure is 3 psi and holds for a while then
slowly drops off.  The metal and rubber fuel lines have all been replaced and
gas tank has been coated inside and out.  There are no discernable leaks.  The
front carb float valve sticks shut overnight so that the front carb runs dry
and the engine runs on the three rear cylinders. (great gas mileage with
reduced power)  I have to pull the float bowl plug and tap the carb with a
screwdriver handle, disconnect the negative distributor wire from the coil and
crank the engine a few times until the fuel flows out of the carb bowl
unsticking the float valve.  Then it runs on all six cylinders.  Is it possible
that the air is entering the front fuel filter due to leaking float valves?
Can one rejuvenate the old float valve by using 99 % pure isopropyl alcohol?  I
know wishful thinking, but it is my daily driver!

Thanks,

Greg Perry