TR6 Wheel Woes

To: "Triumph 6 Pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 Wheel Woes
From: "Andy Schwarz" <aschwarz11@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 10:41:15 -0700
After cleaning the front wheel bearings and hubs, I found that the outer race,
in the right side unit, will rotate. It was easy to remove. It looks like it
has rotated in the past, but there is no galling on either side. Here are the
measurements:

Bore: 1.6260. OD of race: 1.6257. As this is only a clearance of .0003, is
there any way to fix this? I thought of trying to get a new race, but since
some of the wear is probably also in the hub it would still be loose. One
thing that I am considering is to grind a small notch in the mating surfaces
of the hub and race, line up the notches and put JB Weld in them.

Another piece of good news is that I discovered that a rotor thickness check
showed a reading of .455 or only .005 over the minimum stamped on the rotor.
And, they do need to be turned. So, it looks like new rotors are in order. Any
suggestions for sources? I believe that I read somewhere to look out for some
imports as the quality is not good.

Thanks for any help.

Andy

70 TR6