Re: Question about Carbon Canister

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Question about Carbon Canister
From: "Dave.." <evad76-6@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 10:25:10 -0500
On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 18:50:07 -0800, you wrote:

>       Don:
>
>       My 74 has the coopers canister, and the bottom has a threaded
>section, so it unscrews just like a mayonnaise jar. I replaced my carbon
>with activated carbon for a fish tank. Cost about $3 at Petco.
>       As for emissions, the canister is there to serve as a vapor
>recover device for the gas tank. Excess vapors are trapped and burned
>off when the engine is running. It will make no difference in the
>tailpipe emissions. Tailpipe emissions are controlled by ignition and
>fuel mixture.
>       If Dave is having problems passing emissions, he needs to make
>sure that his vacuum retard is working, and that his timing is properly
>set. Then he needs to adjust his mixture according to the Bentley
>manual.
>
>       Cheers,
>
>       Vance

Thanks, Vance. Would high octane fuel help? Octane booster? I ask
because someone told me it would. I'm a little skeptical.. How about a
lean mixture? This car sat for about 8 years - no, not in a garage.
So, I took it to have a full tune up (I have no idea why I didn't do
it myself). Well, it never passed and I had to run it through again.
Still no go, so they made me pay $75 and I was on my way. But man did
that car have problems. Oh, I almost forgot,, the tune up. These guys
never tighten'd down the distributor. They also left a tool inside the
engine compartment.; a giant drift, I believe. They came over to my
house and fixed(I use that loosely.) everything, but that is the last
time I'll ever do that. Wait, I'm not even gonna ever let that thought
enter my mind again. The tune up cost around $200 (unbelievable,
huh?), but I had just gotten the car. Then, much later, I took the air
filter cover off and, yep, they only replaced one filter. I sure
learned my lesson. I think I took it there just to expedite the tune
up so I could get it tagged sooner. Stupid.

Dave.. (76 TR6, CF57784U)