RE: gear box shift rod o-rings

To: "'6 Pack'" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: gear box shift rod o-rings
From: Peter Zaborski <plz@shaw.ca>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 22:58:00 -0700

Here are some notes I made when I did the top cover overhaul a few years
ago. Perhaps others might benefit. I originally sent this info to Nelson
Riddell when he was still keeping his web site but I'm not sure if he ever
made the updates. Anyway, here goes:

1. Instead of regular o-rings, I used Quad o-rings
<http://www.marcorubber.com/quad_rings.htm>. These provide better sealing
properties and longer life (supposedly). About the same $ as the standard
#112 o-rings so I went for it. So far no leaks.

2. One thing I noticed when re-assembling is that the o-rings don't
necessarily seat properly if you tighten down the retaining plate first (ie.
before inserting the shafts). So instead I left my retaining plate loosely
attached until all 3 shafts were inserted properly. Then I tightened down
the retaining plate such that each o-ring was centered on its shaft. You
need a 1/4" drive ratchet with extension here cuz it's a tight fit but
perfectly doable, even with my Craftsman ratchet (can't afford Snap-on, but
they are much more compact).

Peter Zaborski -- CF58310 UO