RE: TR6 Suspension Rebuild - Upper Wishbone Problem?

To: "Andy Schwarz" <aschwarz11@comcast.net>,
Subject: RE: TR6 Suspension Rebuild - Upper Wishbone Problem?
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 08:11:20 -0800
        Andy:

        That seems to be correct, based on the drawings at Moss and
Rimmer Bros on line.

        http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/tr6/images/66a.gif

http://www.mossmotors.com/Graphics/Products/Schematics/TRS-029.gif

        I also believe that is what you want, a slight rearward castor
so that the steering has
a tendency to be self centering. If memory serves, that is also the way
I put mine back together.
        You are wise to be careful, there are many 'handed' parts in the
front suspension that
can be installed backwards, giving all kinds of strange behavior. The
bottom a-arms and the
top fulcrum pin to name a couple.
        I would expect the rebuilt side to be significantly stiffer than
the old side. The ball
joints in particular will tighten up the suspension.
        FYI, my steering was quite heavy when I bought the car, and
after the rebuild, the
effort was much lighter even though the vertical links were much
stiffer. So don't worry about
the increased stiffness at this point.

        Vance