carburetor adjustment

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: carburetor adjustment
From: SamuelsMA@aol.com
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2005 18:06:05 EST
Listers:

With your help, I would like to revisit my driveability problems on my  '76.
The car has high compression, cams, and headers.  It tends to  foul the plugs
very quickly, especially #s 1-3.  Then it misfires, until I  clean or replace
the plugs.

The carbs are Zenith-Stromberg CD2 models.  I have both the Haynes  repair
manual and the Haynes carburetor manual.  The latter is a little  confusing, as
it lists a myriad of Z-S models, but not mine.  However, the  middle Z-S
section shows a carburetor similar to mine with a white damper cap  and no
adjustable jet assembly at the bottom.

I synchronized the carbs using the rubber hose method and the idle  screws.
It now idles about 900 rpm and the hiss is similar at both  carbs.

The book refers to Z-S models similar to mine with adjustable jets,
adjustable needles, or neither.  Which applies to my model?  Also,  most of the
text
refers to adjusting the mixture by inserting a special tool  into the air
valve, locking the base, and turning an allen key in one direction  or the
other.
I have ordered that tool from TRF.  Does that procedure  apply to a CD2?

Finally, I am confused about whether my mixture is off.  The plugs  soot up
very rapidly, but I did the procedure with lifting the air valve and  letting
it fall back down.  In both cases, this led to a slight decrease in  revs, then
a resumption of normal running.  That isn't the response I  expected with an
over-rich mixture.  But the plugs seem to be the most  reliable sign.  Also,
the exhaust pipe ends look sooty to me.  The  dashpots are both full.

I'm trying to do my part by reading the manuals carefully and following
procedures before leaning on you guys, but this is my first carbureted car
since
the '70s and I could sure use a little sage advice.

Thanks.

Michael
'76 Tahiti blue
CF 57044U