Re: Which Oil Do You Use Anyways?

To: "Six Pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Which Oil Do You Use Anyways?
From: "Gary Fluke" <gary.fluke@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 23:29:16 -0700
Gentlemen,

I wonder if seeking a high oil pressure reading is really the goal here.
Oil flow is the requirement.  However, the monitoring of our systems is, of
course, done with a pressure gauge.  A flow meter would by nature likely be
more expensive and troublesome.

You may wish to consider two extreme ends of the operating conditions of a
pump:

1) When pumping through an open discharge line with a pressure sensor on the
open discharge pipe the pressure reading will be almost zero and the flow
will be high.

2) When pumping through a pipe with a very small aperture at it's output the
pressure reading of the sensor in the pipe will read high and the flow will
be at a minimum.

Higher viscosity oil is more resistive to flow and therefore replicates the
effect of trying to pump through a small aperture.  It may feel good to see
the higher pressure reading, but flow cannot be as much as with lower
viscosity oil, all other factors being the same.

Gary
'73