Re: Installing new choke cable

To: John VanNorman <jvannorman@wowway.com>, 6pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Installing new choke cable
From: Todd Bermudez <red_tr250@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 16:04:09 -0700 (PDT)
John,

You should see a small hole in the bottom side of the
knob.  Take a punch or something like it & push the
pin inward whilst pulling the knob off the cable.

As far as those little stops go...not sure why they're
there, but you certainly don't want the choke stopping
it's travel before those little stops get to the outer
cable.  I'd get the little clips that hold the choke
cable to the carb body as close to the metal end as
possible.  You can trim off excess cable if you need
to.

My 2 cents,

Todd Bermudez
CD198L
CF25768UO

--- John VanNorman <jvannorman@wowway.com> wrote:

> Well, after months and months of waiting, the new
> choke cable for my 74 1/2 TR6 arrived today from
> TRF.  A few questions
> for the group:
>
> 1)  Is there a way to remove the plastic control
> knob to install it?  If I can't, the only way to
> install the new choke
> is to slip the nut and washer (used to secure the
> control to the back of the dash) down the metal
> shaft and over the
> cables and once both are off, feed the cables
> through the opening on the front of the dash, then
> put the nut and washer
> back on the shaft while it is in the car, but before
> feeding the cables through the firewall and into the
> engine bay.
> Maybe this is easier with the TRF replacement, but
> the one time I removed the old choke cable via this
> manner, it took
> forever to slip the nut over the end of the metal
> shaft because of the width of the shaft at the end
> (Actually, I had to
> rotate it as if I were unscrewing it). It seems it
> would be a lot easier to just pop the control knob
> off and then feed
> the metal shaft through the back of the dash.
>
> 2)  Near the tail end of the two wires there are
> small metal "stoppers," for a lack of a better name
> and description.
> Am I correct in thinking that when I feed the wires
> through the choke lever on the carbs, I should set
> it up so that the
> metal stoppers "top out" against the plastic
> sheaving on the cables when the carbs are set to
> full choke?
>
> Thanks!
>
> John V.
> 1974 1/2 TR6