Filling gearboxes in situ without a pump

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Filling gearboxes in situ without a pump
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kradicke@wishboneclassics.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 22:51:39 -0400
Until this past thread about GL4 oil and where to buy the hand driven pumps,
I never realized how many people go through the hassle of pumping oil into
their transmissions.

You can let gravity do the same work for you, while you stand upright, right
by the driver's front fender.  We use a decent sized funnel with a 5 foot
length of clear poly tubing (either 3/8 or 1/2" ID).  The tubing gets snaked
down next to the brake booster, under the front of the driver's floor pan,
and then tucked into the fill hole on the transmission.

I premeasure the amount of gear oil necessary to fill the transmission, so
as to not overfill, and I simply pour it into the funnel connected to the
tube.  Within two minutes the gearbox is filled completely, the tube is
almost always completely empty, and I pull it out and put it back in the
cabinet.  No mess and no guessing how much is left to pump in.

Cheers!

Kai

--
Kai M. Radicke