Electrical Question

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Electrical Question
From: shewfamily@aol.com
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 11:05:00 -0400
List,
I am pretty good at turning wrenches and figuring out problems and how to take
something apart and put it back together.  Electrical is just not my bag.  I
plan on reading on the subject in Dan Master's book, but I thought I would put
a question out to obtain enlightenment from the list.

Here is my problem.  I replace my standard alternator when it died with the
Bosh unit.  When driving during the day time with just my radio playing, the
voltmeter is showing 13.5 volts.  At night when I turn on my lights, the volt
meter shows 11.5 volts whether on high beam or low beam or whether my driving
lights are on.  At times in the past when I turn my radio on, my lights will
blink off.  Do I have a short or loose ground dealing with my headlights and
therefore it is pulling more power to them than normal?  Would it be normal for
the voltmeter to show 11.5 volts and maybe I have my radio plugged into to a
fuse block that is already loaded and I just need to move it ot another spot on
the fuse block?  Any help is greatly appreciated.
John Shewmake
'74 TR6
Chattanooga, TN