Re: steering rack mounts

To: 6Pack List <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: steering rack mounts
From: Timothy Holbrook <tjh173@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 20:07:57 -0700 (PDT)
I have the Goodparts aluminum rack mounts and am very happy with them.
I was sick of the side-to-side play that seemed impossible to get rid
of with the stock setup.  I didn't really notice any difference with
harshness or vibration, but the steering certainly is much more precise
than before.  No play whatsoever.  And as with all Goodparts products
that I've purchased, quality is great and the parts fit perfectly.

I also have Goodparts nylatron bushings on the front suspension, Spax
tube shocks at all 4 corners, and 15x6 Panasports with 205/65-15
Bridgestone rubber (don't get me started on Michelin - damn that USGP,
first F1 race I attend and I got a freaking parade!!).  Altogether, a
very nice package.  Although if I had it to do again, I'd probably get
the cheaper KYB shocks, as I don't really need the adjustability of the
Spax.  Also would get the 16x7 Panasports with 205/55-16 tires, but the
16x7's weren't available when I was buying wheels.  Bummer.  One day
I'll have to get the Goodparts antiroll bars and lowering springs.  One
day...

Tim Holbrook
1971 TR6

--- Peter Zaborski <plz@shaw.ca> wrote:

> Hello 6-pack listers,
>
> I have some questions about the steering rack mounts and bushings.
> I'm using
> stock mounts and u-bolts and polyurethane bushings. I have a home
> version of
> the spreading tool pictured in the Bentley manual.
>
> Recently I re-tightened the rack mounts as per the Bentley procedure.
> I used
> my spreading tool and the result was a nice tight steering response.
> Unfortunately this lasted only about 200 miles. Now it's back to the
> loose
> mounts and the side to side play in the rack.
>
> I'm really considering the Good aluminum rack mount kit. Before I
> place the
> order, I'd like to ask those listers who are using them for any
> comments on
> the pros and cons of using the solid mounts.
>
> Do those of you who use the stock or poly bushings with stock mounts
> just
> put up with the side to side play and resulting sloppy steering
> response? Or
> am I missing something in how to tighten up the rack mounts so the
> tightness
> lasts for more than 200 miles?
>
> Looking for any comments about how to improve this situation.
>
> FWIW, the rest of my suspension is:
> - stock springs
> - Spax shocks front
> - upgraded Apple Hydraulics rebuild rear shocks
> - poly urethane bushing every where else, even the spring pads
> - stock front sway bar, no rear sway bar
> - stock steel wheels
> - recently added Michelin all season tires (205-70/15)
>
> Thanks for any feedback on the sloppy steering problem.
>
> Peter Zaborski -- CF58310 UO

Discover Yahoo!
http://discover.yahoo.com/mobile.html