FW: plugging off the hot water to the manifold

To: "6pack 6pack@autox. 6pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>, <trsix@operamail.com>
Subject: FW: plugging off the hot water to the manifold
From: "Rick" <patton@suscom-maine.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 10:48:03 -0400
Hi Robert,

That thread is 3/8" BSP (British Standard Pipe). It is a straight cut pipe
thread rather than a tapered thread like we use in the US. Your local
hardware store or auto parts is unlikely to have a suitable plug. One remedy
is to run a 3/8" US style pipe tap into the threads to create a taper for a
common 3/8" pipe plug. Put a little grease on the tap and run it in about
2/3 of the way. As you work it in, back it out a little every so often to
clear the treads. The new plug will seat with about a third of the threads
exposed. You can run the tap in a little deeper to seat the plug deeper. Use
Teflon tape on the threads. Don't over tighten the new plug.

At some point if you decide to reconnect the heater you can replace the plug
with a readily available US threaded hose nipple.

Rick Patton
Brunswick Maine
Heater not running today-