Re: Greasing...

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Greasing...
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 00:25:48 -0700
 Jim---On the ball joints, it's possible to pack these too much, which
will separate the rubber boot from the joint. If you want to see some
grease stay in this boot, stick a match, toothpick or a nail into the
bleed hole. Give it one shot from your grease gun.

Meanwhile, the gaiter boots are not supposed to "hold" grease. These
boots are for protection from the elements. Give the steering rack
fitting about five shots about once per year, and that oughta' do it.

Dick

From:
jfarris@troy.edu(<jfarris@troy.edu>) Date: Thu, Jun 9, 2005, 9:21pm
(PDT+2) To: 6pack@autox.team.net Subject: Greasing new ball joints & tie
rod ends
Greetings,
We're in the last stages of the front end rebuild. I was not happy with
how the new ball joints and tie rod ends took grease. The ball joints
spit it right back out the little holes under the plastic gasket under
the grease fitting ...

and the rubber housings on the tie rod ends leaked immediately without
filling in the least.
Any one else have any problems with greasing brand new units. Any
suggestions. I'll look a little closer in the day light tomorrow
afternoon.
TIA,
Jim Farris