Re: Scam ? Maybe?

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Scam ? Maybe?
From: "Jerry C Shaw" <slowtoaccept@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 21:21:38 -0400
Yes, I would vote for a scam. These sleazes don't use bogus bank checks any
longer, but counterfeited U.S. Money Order checks.
Jerry

Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 07:41:55 -0700
From: "Ken Davis" <ken.davis@comcast.net>

Marty -
all the earmarks of a scam.  It goes along the lines of.....
I represent a buyer who is interested in your car.  I can pay by bank
draft..
Usually the draft is for several thousand more than your asking price.  All
they ask is you deposit it, and send the excess back to them and the shipper
will be in contact to take the car.    The draft is usually stolen or
forged,
and once they have your $$$ you never hear from them again, and then when
the
check is not paid by the 'issuing bank' , you're out the $$$ you sent them.

a very common scam for those selling classic cars.  A friend - erstwhile
dealer - had this happen.  He's no fool, he suspected something and waited,
and sure enough the check was forged.  He turned it over to federal
authorities... his scam originated in Texas for 'a wealthy English buyer'.

Ken