Re: Cylinder Head is OFF

To: Original Music <originalmusic@adelphia.net>
Subject: Re: Cylinder Head is OFF
From: Mitchel Seff <ms6453@optonline.net>
Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 19:18:50 -0400
Hey Bob,

Lots of plastic baggies, boxes & even an engraver will help to organize
the disassembly. The key here is to document as best you can where the
heck everything goes. I hate having extra parts when I'm done :-) .
* Make note of the large & small bearing caps location & position, these
should go together where they came out.
* Mark your crank & cam gear timing marks to compare when reinstalling.
* If you have a digital camera , make use of it. You'll wish you had
when you have all those new parts in front of you again.
* Inspect your old parts & make a list of what's garbage & what will be
replaced.
I would recommend using ARP head studs , crank & rod bolts rather than
the stock fasteners. So much of the after market fasteners are
questionable why take the chance. This is not a performance upgrade as
much as a reliability upgrade.
Have the machine shop check the cam bores & make sure they are in spec,
if not this is the time to consider cam bearings. If the bores are out
of spec this is a good place for oil pressure loss.

I definitely agree with you on painting the engine bay body color. With
the engine out now's the time. You can pull the harness back in to the
driver footwell with out allot of work. Cover all parts with tin foil
that are not removed. the tin foil molds to unusual shapes,  stays put &
is easily removed.

--
Mitch Seff
Oceanside, N.Y.