starter solenoid

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: starter solenoid
From: "Lumia, John" <jlumia@ball.com>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 09:13:45 -0600
The relay in my starter solenoid seems to have gotten intermittent, so the
relay clicks but the motor wont spin.  I beleive that the battery cables are
okay, since I measure 12.5V at the hot side of the starter at rest and 11.5V
when the solenoid relay is engaged but no voltage at the starter motor side of
the solenoid relay.  Has anyone ever tried to take apart a solenoid from the
later TR6 M4100 starter?  Bentley says that there are sealing and soldering
complications in disasembling it, so they recommend simply replacing it.  I
see two solder feedthroughs (from the solenoid winding?), can one simply
unsolder these two and take it apart to clean the relay contacts?

John Lumia - 1976 TR6
Louisville, CO