Re: ZS needles

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: ZS needles
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Sun, 8 May 2005 23:26:11 -0700
Brian---Yes, you wil need a "tool" to release the needles from the air
valves. Yes, it's the one used for richness adjustment. You'll want to
screw the adjustment counter-clockwise. Usually it takes no more than
three full turns for the threads on the screw to leave the internal
threads on the needle casing. The needle should then be free to come out
the bottom of the air valve.

If you don't have the special tool sold for this purpose, this movement
can also be done with a long 1/8 inch Allen wrench. Remove the top of
the carburetor and watch that the diaphragm doesn't lok as if it's going
to tear, as you turn the wrench.   (The special tool prevents this)

Reinserting the needle involves pushing it up into the air valve, as you
turn the adjusting screw clockwise. Insert the spring-loaded screw
into theneedle casing keyway to keep it from turning, as you draw up the
needle.

I would recommend either the Haynes Carburetor Repair Manual for the ZS
carbs, or at a minimum the Bentley manual. Both cover this repair step.

Dick

bytr6@frontiernet.net(Brian Yarborough) Date: Sun, May 8, 2005, 9:23pm
(PDT+3) To: 6pack@autox.team.net (6-pack) Subject: ZS Needles
Hi all;
Were any of you @ Britfest in NJ this weekend?
Anyway, I'm rebuilding my carbs and I'm stuck on removing the needles.
THey're from a '76, w/ adjustble needles. I've loosened the grub screw,
but I can't get the needle out. Is there a trick? The Bentley manual
says use tool S353 to loosen the stem. What is this tool? Is it the
richness adjustment tool? If not, how do I get the needle out?
Brian Yarborough
1976 TR-6
CF55886UO