Questions for the list

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Questions for the list
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 07:45:28 -0700
        Listers:

        Interesting problem occurred over the weekend.

        I completed the rear suspension rebuild, including the hubs. I
loosely hung my new exhaust system (stock, except for a Falcon SS
muffler) and then reunited the engine/tranny and set them in place on
the frame. So far so good.
        I completed the exhaust system install, and went to hook up the
propshaft. Hmm. Bentley doesn't seem to tell me which end goes to the
tranny. So question #1 is: Which way *DOES* the blinking thing go in?
        Problem number two: I lay the propshaft into place, and it is
too SHORT!! I don't think it shrank during the winter (although anything
is possible I suppose). I verified that the engine/tranny is in the
correct fore/aft location. The rear tranny mount is centered over the
tranny mount holes. If I move it backward the required 5/16" then I will
not be able to bolt down the tranny mount. That means that the diff is
too far to the rear, correct? But you can't move the diff, no
adjustments. So, question number two: How does one correct a too short
propshaft? Use the bolts to "pull" the diff and tranny closer together?
Use a sawzall to cut 5/16" out of the middle of the frame.? Accelerate
the vehicle to relativistic velocities and rely on St. Einstein to
shorten the chassis for me? Apply a damp rag and wait for the chassis to
shrink?

        Buggers! and it was all going so well.

        Thanks for any help.

        Vance