Re: Parts washing

To: "John North" <jnorth@novagate.com>,
Subject: Re: Parts washing
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kradicke@wishboneclassics.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 15:02:08 -0400
> What's the state of the art on washing parts?

Ultrasonic cleaners.  Expensive for the DIYer, but my tiny 3gallon unit is
the best thing I have ever bought for my shop.  It will clean things like
carburettors like you can't believe.  It will remove dirt, grease and
assorted grime without complaining.  What cleaning solution I use depends on
what the part is and what material it is made out of.  For aluminum I use
dilluted alloy wheel cleaner, for iron/steel parts I use dilluted a dilluted
simple green solution.  For parts that require gentle cleansing, I use water
and dishsoap solution.

The ultrasonic cleaner is not so great at removing rust.  Dirt that is
really caked / baked on requires a two or three 30-minute sessions to get
them as clean as new.

> And how do you dispose of the residue so
> the stuff doesn't get in the river?

Well for the parts solutions I dispose of them at my local "Hazardous Waste
Day", we usually have two a year here in Bristol, PA.  They take practically
anything... even tires.

Or if you are considering pressure washing your engine bay, your local DIY
car wash is required to collect and recycle their waste water.  Most of the
DIY car washes around here have a cycle for engine degreasing and then a
high pressure rinse.  It works "OK".  The spray on engine degreasers you can
buy at the auto store work better, and you can still apply and rinse at the
local DIY car wash.

Kai

--
Kai M. Radicke