RE: Rear hubs from TRF

To: "Tomislav Marincic" <tomislav.marincic@earthlink.net>,
Subject: RE: Rear hubs from TRF
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 08:29:53 -0700
        Tom:

        You are correct, there are two different axle designs. Best I
can tell, they are
identical except for the hole for a cotter pin. I ended up with one of
each style
while putting my chassis back together. I drilled the missing hole so
that both
axles could use a cotter pin, oops, I mean "split pin" as Bentley calls
them.
        I believe both styles are just fine, although on paper the
cotter pin adds
security to the design. You could replace the plain nut with a Nyloc,
drill it
for a split pin, or use a crimp nut to add security if you are paranoid.
If you drill
it, use a drill press. That axle is made of a pretty tough steel, and
getting a
hand drill to put a clean hole in it is a challenge (ask me how I know).

        Vance