Tuning ZS carbs. Was Goodparts (triple-Carbs)...

To: "Shawn J. Loseke" <sloseke@holly.colostate.edu>,
Subject: Tuning ZS carbs. Was Goodparts (triple-Carbs)...
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 08:28:57 -0700
        Shawn:

        There are hundreds of Zenith needles available, the same number
as are available for the SU carbs. Moss only offers about 6-10, but for
mild tuning they had what I needed. I switched to the Jag XJ6 needles,
B1ARs, which were richer (what I happened to need). I haven't researched
what Moss offers in the leaner category. Look in their catalog for
carburetor parts for other cars (TR4/TR250/Jag/etc) to see all the
needles they offer.
        If you want to see everything that is available, go to Burlen
fuel and order their needle catalog. There are MANY, MANY combinations
in there, so you ought to be able to find what you need.
www.burlen.co.uk The needle catalog gives you the station values, so you
can see which needles are richer or leaner, and whether it is at idle,
cruise, or power. If you ord3er from Burlen, delivery time is about 7
days and prices are competitive with the likes of Moss. A US source for
ZS needles and tuning is Joe Curto. He stocks most of the needles, and
can help you get the one you need. www.joecurto.com
        The notion that there are more tuning options for SU carbs is
largely a myth. Both SU and Zenith Carbs are still manufactured in the
UK by Burlen, and Burlen fully supports both carbs with a complete range
of parts not to mention hundreds of needle options.
        I don't know what other modifications you have made to your
motor, but up to about 140 HP the stock twin ZS carbs will flow enough
air (with the correct needle, of course) to meet the needs of your
motor. If you are going beyond 140 HP or so, you will need more carb for
the motor. So says David Vizard, my hero.

        Cheers,

        Vance