Re setting timing

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re setting timing
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 13:57:31 -0700
Joe---It's best to set ignition timing before adding aftermarket
products. To be sure you are in the ballpark, turn the engine over to
where it is on TDC, #1 firing. The rotor should be closest to #1
sparkplug wire, and the points very close to being opened by the dist.
cam. Then start the engine, and adjust* the timing while using the
'light.
 You will have to check the timing again, as some of these electronic
units can change change starting time.

Depending on the cam, and compression ratio, the idle timing is
"negotiable".  With a stocker, *set it anywhere between 10 and 12 deg.
B-TDC with no vacuum line influence. You'll want the engine to be idling
below 900 rpm, so the centrifugal advance is not yet contributing.

Reconnect your vacuum lines, if you still want to use them. They will
typically retard the (idle) timing to where it now fires A-TDC.

Slowly accelerate the engine, to be sure the timing advances at a
corresponding rate. At around 2500 rpm, the timing should show around 24
deg. BTDC.
Keep the new engine under 150 mph till its broken in!

Dick

From:
Lizirbydavis@cs.com Date: Fri, Apr 15, 2005, Subject: setting timing
Hi Folks
The archives are down, so I'm going to bomb the list with a previously
well discussed issue. I need to set the timing on my new motor. I've got
my new motor running with an old set of points. It seems to run well,
but misses some. I'm going to install a new crane xr-700 asap. I had one
in the car previously and it performed well. The old unit died. My
questions relate to timing a new engine. I'm going to borrow a timing
light and learn how to use it today. With the engine at 850-1000rpm
idle, what degree should I shoot for? 6 degrees atdc? Should I time the
engine before I install the crane, and then again after, or can I
install the crane without timing the engine first? I confess that in the
past, I've adjusted the timing by driving the car, and retarding the
timing a little when it pinged under load. Currently the car is not on
the road, and I'd like to learn how to do this right. Thanks for the
help
T-minus 8 hours of work before road test! Joe Davis