RE: Stiff shifting after transmission rebuild - speedometer

To: "Terry Geiger" <tgeiger@ShoalsBritishCars.org>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Stiff shifting after transmission rebuild - speedometer
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 07:56:52 -0700
        Terry:

        I agree with Robert - If it is hard shifting with the engine
running, it sounds as though your clutch is not fully disengaging rather
than a problem with the transmission.
        As for the speedo calibration - The Volvo gear is 21 teeth, and
on my TR6 with a Volvo J-Type resulted in a 15% low reading. The TR6
speedo gear is 20 teeth, and so would be better, but still read low
(around 10%). The reason it still reads low is that there are TWO gears
you must worry about, the internal worm gear, and the speedo pinion
gear, which is the one you replaced. Both the internal worm  gear and
the pinion gear are different in a Volvo, so simply slapping on the TR6
pinion gear is not enough.
        In my case, I used a stop watch and highway mileage markers. It
turns out that the spitfire pinion gear is within a couple percent of
what I needed to get the speedo correct, as it is 18 tooth. This is
almost exactly a 15% change.
        In your case, you can also replace the internal worm gear, or
try my solution. To change the internal worm gear requires that you pull
the tranny and disassemble the overdrive. Trying the spitfire pinion
takes 10 minutes and a 1/2" socket. Your choice.... =:-o

        Cheers,

        Vance
Cogito Ergo Zoom
(I think, therefore I go fast)