Subject: Re: Disssy

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Subject: Re: Disssy
From: Dale M Osterndorf <osternd@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 15:43:20 -0400
After all the time I've spent lurking on this list, perhaps I can finally
add my $.02 and advice to the list!  I have a vacuum advance distributor
with tach drive on my '76 TR6.  There is a picture of it at:

http://www.triumphowners.com/uploaded/34/2968-2968-111032_14distadv.jpg

Fairly simple to do.  Get ahold of an early TR6 distributor ('69 - '71?)
which has both advance and retard vacuum units.  The retard unit is
easily removed and can be replaced by a knurled nut and spring from a
different Lucas distributor (I used one from an MGB.  So far my car has
had no detrimental reactions from the donation. lol!)  Vacuum was picked
up from the front top vacuum fitting (this should be ported vacuum) of
the carb.  I believe I did manipulate the drive gear a tooth or two such
that the tach cable aligned a little better.

The vacuum unit showed 5 - 18 - 10 which starts advance at 5" Hg, ends at
18" Hg, and has a total of 10 deg distributor advance or 20 deg crank
advance.  I found that max advance was about 16 (crank) deg at 15".  For
cruising at about 2200 rpm (60mph?), I was drawing about 12" Hg which
gave me about 12 deg vacuum advance for a total of 30 - 32 deg crank
advance.  I can post complete numbers of mech and vacuum advance if
anyone is interested.

Hope this helps someone.  Now if I only had these distributors to dump on
Ebay!

Dale O
'76 TR6
'78 Spit