Re: ss flexible brake lines

To: Gene Holtzclaw <motrv8d@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: ss flexible brake lines
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 12:50:21 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 1 Apr 2005, Gene Holtzclaw wrote:

> Where do I get the stainless steel flexible brake lines, or do I really need
> them?

You can buy them from pretty much any of the usual sources such as TRF,
Moss, TS Imported etc.

Do you need them? That is a question that only you can answer.

The major benefit is that you get a "harder" pedal (meaning it's not so
"squishy" if you tromp on it). The outside surface is less susceptable to
chaffing problems than rubber, but that's usually not a problem on TR6's.

They also look kool, so once you install them, you might want to powder
coat your brake calipers (red is a very nice color) and the rest of the
suspension and then you'll want to show those off, so you'll buy some
neat-o 17" rims and run 225/45-17 tires. From there, you need a #10 can
for the muffler... ooops! Wrong list. Sorry!

Seriously, for a street driven car, there is probably no benefit other
than the harder pedal.

But if this choice is between braided stainless lines and leaving the
origianl stock rubber hoses in place - it's a no-brainer as anything is
better than leaving 30 year old rubber lines on such a critical system
component. My experience shows the quality of the replacement rubber hoses
has been fairly good, although the ones on the back of my street car were
replaced about 10 years ago. A lot can change in 10 years!

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: xxx-xxx-xxxx