RE: Timing for New Engine

To: "'Don Becker'" <dr.becker@cox.net>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Timing for New Engine
From: "Jim Davis" <jdavis344@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 02:19:11 -0500
Hi Don!
The storms rumbling through my area have awakened and frightened my
dogs, who naturally, woke me up to let me know they're uneasy, so I
thought I'd do something constructive before attempting sleep once
more...
The thing to remember here is that 10* BEFORE TDC STATIC (engine not
running) timing is the same as 4* AFTER TDC DYNAMIC (engine running)
timing. So, to check that your timing is properly set at 10* BTDC with
the engine at rest, bring the engine slowly around clockwise to 10* BTDC
on the damper on the compression stroke. Then disconnect the lead
(usually a black/white wire) from the distributor to the coil and place
a multimeter (or a 12 volt test lamp) between the lead and the positive
battery terminal. Rotate the distributor until you have voltage (or the
lamp illuminates). This will be the point at which the points just close
and your timing will be set well enough to start the engine. Remove the
voltmeter (light) and reconnect the lead. Start the engine and get it up
to 2000 rpm for cam/lifter break-in. Once you've got the cam broken in
you can get the engine to idle and set the timing more precisely with
your timing light. If the engine fails to start after performing the
procedure above, look elsewhere for problems, such as fuel delivery. If
you aren't getting voltage at the dist. lead check that your points are
properly installed... Ask me how I know this little detail can be
overlooked!

Good luck,

Jim Davis
Fortson, GA
CF342U... a new beginning?

Hello Listers,

First off - Thank you to the list for all the help during the past 3
years. All the valuable information has allowed me to get to the point
of starting up my almost fully restored 74 TR6 however, I have a
question regarding "where to set the timing for a new engine". The
engine is basically stock with a new block, pistons, cam, etc.

I've checked the valve timing, adjusted valves, installed the driving
dog gear, distributor, verified oil pressure (75psi @ starting motor
rpm), set the dwell and so far everything has been per the text book.
However, when I checked the timing with a strobe light (retard hose
disconnected and
blocked) it's hitting the mark @ about 12 degrees BTDC. (I'm using a
remote starter switch to spin the engine) Furthermore, attempts to
adjust the timing towards 4 degrees ATDC did not work. It seems that 12
degrees BTDC is as close as I can get.

Does the timing need to be set at 4 degrees ATDC before I start it? Any
help from the list would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Don Becker
'74 Mallard Blue