Re: Break point on collapsible spacers?

To: mahutchinson@cox.net (Michael Hutchinson)
Subject: Re: Break point on collapsible spacers?
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 13:28:41 -0800
Michael---I've been into three of these differentials. A '69, a '73 and
a '74. All had the solid spacers for setting the pinion. All were
original units. None needed to have the pinion shim pack altered when
replacing items like seals, sun and planet gear spacer/shims, or the
crownwheel carrier bearings. Two of these units have been in service for
about 20,000 miles now. The third is my original "spare".
Berry and Bob guided me thru the first overhaul. Other than doing the
several disassemblies necessary (as I was warned) to get things fitted
up snug, but not too snug, it wasn't a bad ordeal.

Dick