Re: Lowering car, camber+

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Lowering car, camber+
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 22:39:16 -0800
Joe---"Acceptable" is mostly how you want the wheels to look, perform in
cornering situations, blah, blah. There are limits, of course, before
penalties start getting tacked on.  Tire wear, high speed wander,
looking "silly", etc.

There are trig formulas for computing this camber angle, that I can't
quote you. If you are not after the exact science here, I can get you in
the ball park.
Between 1/4 to 1/2 deg. of negative works out to between 1/8 to 1/4 inch
of tilt, taken from a straight edge laid across the upper and lower
parts of the wheel lip. Hold a spirit level vertically against the
straight edge (I use a known, straight, l6 inch length of 2"x2") and
measure in to the top of the rim.
Pull the straight edge away from the top of the rim, till the level
shows true vertical. Measure in to the top of the rim.  !/2 deg.
would be considered acceptable by many.  If your springs are weak, or
you carry heavy, take this in to consideration.

It's good to know if the rims you are measuring are reasonably straight,
when doing this exercise.  Spin them to test for runout.. Compromise
accordingly.

Some cars set up for racing prefer two deg. or more of negative camber.
This translates to over a half inch of tilt.   Bob?

Dick

From:
Lizirbydavis@cs.com Date: Fri, Mar 18, 2005, 9:47pm (PST+3) To:
tr6taylor@webtv.net, 6pack@autox.team.net Subject: Re: Lowering car...
What is an acceptable degree of negative camber for the rear wheels? Joe
Davis