New TR6 update (diff mount and some rust!)

To: "6pack List" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: New TR6 update (diff mount and some rust!)
From: "siberian" <siberian@siberian.org>
Date: Sat, 05 Mar 2005 19:12:31 -0800
Hi all,so today I finally got some spare time to play with
my new TR6 a bit, its quite exciting :)

A few items though. (pics are here :
http://www.siberian.org/pictures/Day5/ )

First off, I think a diff pin must be busted, if I apply
power suddenly it feels like something is going to jump out
from behind the passenger seat. "CLUNK!".  I took a bunch of
shots of the differential area, pins, U-Joint etc and it
'looks' ok but it is obviously not. I'll investigate more
using some more formalized testing but if anyone see's
anything wacky in the photos please let me know.

The second item is rust. (GASP!). Yes, as amazing as it
might sound this is a TR6 that has some rust. Today I
strapped on my Makita drill, attached a wire brush drillbit
and went looking for trouble. First the good news,
everything that looks like surface rust is, in reality,
surface rust. Very nice!

The trouble came when I attacked the 4 or so small bondo
areas around the rear deck. Yup, there it was, pinhole rust
in the same spot on both sides, right where the rear deck
joins to the wings. The good of this is that it is extremely
localized (or so it appears) and everything else seems
intact on both the inside and the outside and its very very
structurally sound. It looks like the previous DPO attempted
to stop the spread and succeeded.

So, with these pinholes what is the preferred way to repair?
I'm imagining its going to be auto-body solder or something
like that but wanted to see what tips folks may have.

The right wing is totally trashed. For some reason the
previous DPO decided that it would be advantageous to apply
1/4" of bondo the the wing rather then just replace it. It
must have gotten pushed in when the other front damage
occured. I don't see any obvious frame damage etc so I think
I am in the clear.

Anyhow, everything is looking pretty nice so far outside of
these issues. Its a really complete car, even down to the
original plastic covers for the seatbelt bolts behind the
shoulders. Current list of 'required new stuff' is a right
wing, front valance, new dash pad and a new bonnet, oh and
the interior of course. Pricey stuff but easy enough to deal
with!

Current dilemma - Restore to original or 'make it better'. I
guess in the big scheme of things thats a good decision to
have to make!

Thanks for any tips comments warnings or suggestions on this
car.

John-