RE: car won't start

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: car won't start
From: Chuck Arnold <chuck.arnold@oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2005 15:14:28 -0800
Mike wrote:
"Hi fellow Sixers. My beautiful '73 won't start. I turn the ignition and get
nothing, nada, except the red ignition light comes on. It's not the battery
(It's charged and holds a charge). Car runs fine after I roll it and pop the
clutch. I'm no mechanic but wonder what the problem could be. Any ideas? Note I
would like to self-diagnose if I can. How would you suggest I go about this?
Thanks!"

I just experienced this.  Thought it was the solenoid as I did coincidentally
break the wire inside the connector [high torque Japanese starter motor].
Replaced that -- still did not start.  Replaced the starter relay.  Still no
click.  Checked the ignition switch -- no output from the wire that goes to the
relay.  Point is -- use a volt meter, determine where the electricity stops,
fix that part first!  If you do not have it, Get Dan Master's wiring book.

On that subject, even his book does not explain which of the six leads in the
back of the ignition switch are "hot" with each of the three on positions of
the switch.  Anybody have that information?

Thanks,
Chuck