Re: Rear end Twitch/Sway bar discussion

To: "Shawn J. Loseke" <sloseke@holly.colostate.edu>
Subject: Re: Rear end Twitch/Sway bar discussion
From: Bill <william.mcintire@wright.edu>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 12:52:10 -0500
I'll throw in my strictly seat of the pants observations.
When my car was new (Oct. '70) we were rallying it and on a long radius
sweeper,  whilst going rapidly, the rear end started to bounce as in up
and down or oscillate or whatever. Scary!  Blew it off to really weak
rear shocks and changed the oil in them to higher viscosity. Much
better. Later added Addco sway bars. Better still. Sometime later it had
the sags in the rear (springs). Installed heavier springs with no rear
sway bar.  Haven't really pushed lateral acceleration in a long time so
I don't know about oscillation.... but  it has lately developed a twitch
when shifting - rear steers to the right.  I'm attributing that to swing
arm mounts  having biodegraded to whatever the turn into. Soon as we
have ice out around here I'll redo the mounts and hope I guessed
correctly. Can't hurt anything, it's ~35 and they are original.
FWIW
Bill  '70 6