RE: Something found on Ebay..Opinions

To: "Greg Dito" <dito9561@bellsouth.net>, <6pack@Autox.Team.Net>,
Subject: RE: Something found on Ebay..Opinions
From: "Shawn J. Loseke" <sloseke@holly.colostate.edu>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 19:25:58 -0700
The metalurgy aspect is something he should realize if he is a mechanical
engineer. Also, these threads are typically stripped when the wrong bolts are
used, not necesarily from over torquing. The torque levels are not that high
and over torquing will only make the leak worse as it distorts the surface.
There are long and short bolts for both the oil pan and timing cover, short
bolts go into the aluminum block. Same for the rear seal piece. When the wrong
bolts are used in the wrong place on the timing cover it can also warp the
front plate which will also result in a difficult to fix, and sometimes
diagnose, leak.

Attention to detail in disassembly and reassembly can go along way here.

Shawn J. Loseke
1972 TR6
Fort Collins, CO

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=34202&item=4524083621&rd=1