re:Distributer question

To: John & Allison Cyganowski <janah@att.net>
Subject: re:Distributer question
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 10:37:19 -0500 (EST)
On Sat, 15 Jan 2005, John & Allison Cyganowski wrote:

> Hmmm.....I am assuming that the Crane is electronic ignition.  Why would you
> change from electronic ignition back to a mechanical system even though it
> is dual point?

The reasons to change to a Mallory are:

1. you get a new distributor

2. the lucas unit is a POS.

3. you can actually re-curve the Mallory unit with a minimum of fuss.
Example: a _stack_ of new springs is about $10 at a speed shop. Example 2:
you can set the total mechanical advance by playing with one set screw.

Try either 1 or 2 with a Lucas 22D. You can't do it for under $10 and
your time. Period.

4. Using points to trigger an CDI system (like MSD) sends very little
current across the points... they last a LONG TIME and keep the settings
for the duration. Pun intended.

There are two minor drawbacks to the Mallory setup.

D1. no tach drive. This is actually not a problem, you can buy a cheap
tach for $30 (more $$$ if you want "features") or you can convert your
stock Smiths gauge to electronic via a number of sources including
www.gaugeguys.com (aka APT Instruments) for about $200 or you can buy a
NEW 5" Smiths tach from APT Instruments. In other words, this "problem" is
easily overcome.

D2. no vacuum advance or retard. No "tuning for cruising" mileage benefit.
Trust me - this is no problem, I have one of these distributors in my
street car and I get 25 to 26 MPG on the highway ("tuned" motor, header,
extractor, stock ZS175's, cam, stock gears and no O/D, etc.).

D3. if you use the unit without a CDI box, you _may_ have problems with
the reliability of the condensors, but spares are cheap. Carry a couple in
the boot, it takes under 5 min to change the externally mounted condensor.

D4. the parts are not stock, so you need to buy a spare cap, rotor, points
(one pair) and a couple of condensors. NOTE: the rotor quality has been
rock solid, unlike some of the Lucas replacement parts!!!

> John Cyg.
> CC52927LO

regards,
rml
CF14111U
CR1871UO
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |