Re: 180

To: slbridge@hotmail.com (steve bridge)
Subject: Re: 180
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 14:50:52 -0800
Steve---It's possible to get the prop shaft assembly out of phase if you
take it apart at the spline shaft coupling, and reassemble it so the
U-joint yokes aren't in the original position. The bolt pattern of the
propshaft flanges won't permit reassembly to be "misassembled". Some
owners have found that being 180 deg. out  noticed an imbalance, thru
thru the drivetrain, so this is worth noting.

On the axle shafts....The original splined shafts wouldn't permit
reassembly to be done "wrong" since there was one key that was wider
than the rest. These asymmetrically keyed shafts could still be bolted
up 180 out from the original position, but the chances of this causiing
a balance problem is remote.

Exception... I recently installed a NEW halfshaft pair. (Moss Motors) I
was surprised to find that I could mate the two shafts anyway I chose.
(There was no major key)!  It was necessary then to consider the
positions of the u-joints/yokes before joining the shafts.

Dick